Saturday, January 12, 2008

Back in Bombay

Hello once again! I know I have a LOT of catching up to do after such a long hiatus from writing, but the short of it is that my laptop, shortly after writing my last post in October, went completely haywire and was in a shop for about a month, followed by a very hectic few weeks leading up to the AIF mid-point conference and a trip back to Portland.

As most of you know, I trekked home in mid-December for my sister's wedding and Christmas, both of which were fabulous and joyous occasions. It was wonderful to be back, despite the whirlwind of craziness and activity that could be a little overwhelming for a jet-lagged, road weary traveler. After about 24 more hours of being in transit, I'm back in India, enjoying the last few hours of western civilization in Vaani's (a fellow fellow) family's 5-star hotel room before I take the plunge into the madness of Mumbai and catch a bus back to Pune, and then Mhaswad.

As I was expecting, it's a little strange to be back, and yet also really special to feel a sense of familiarity and confidence in a such a distant and vibrant country. Mhaswad is going to be a different place without any other westerners there (Brenna returned to Syracuse to finish her graduate program right about when I left for the wedding), and I’m definitely feeling some of the pangs of homesickness that will take some time to get over. The re-adjustment period, though, is probably a small price to pay for the perspective I gained by being away, and I’m really looking forward to upping my productivity now that I have a mere 6 months to accomplish some big goals with Mann Deshi. Our Financial Literacy curriculum is in it’s final stages of development, and I hoping to start working with another staff member, Padma, on beginning a local community radio station this spring.

Stay tuned for some recaps of stories from the past few months! Hope to hear from you all soon, and take care.

3 comments:

Travel Corporation India said...

The places of tourist interests are endless in Mumbai. A number of sites with historical importance, contemporary wonders, archaeological sites, religious places and natural wonders in the backdrop of modern day marvels is an experience of life time. The Gateway of India is the main attraction of Mumbai city. Built to commemorate the visit of King George V and Queen Mary for the Delhi Durbar in the year 1911, The other sites like the Mani Bhawan or the Gandhi memorial, Prince of Wales Museum, Marine Drive and Juhu gives the feeling of being in the commercial capital of India. Mumbai tourist places

Unknown said...

Fantastic journey summery post by you. India is really amazing tourist place in the world, here everything to experience like culture, heritage, fords, modern lifestyle, and more..
visit www.letraveltoindia.com for golden triangle India tours.

LabanaWorldTravel said...

trip to north india
Nice blog,,,
I just wanted to make a statement on the contribution of this blog here. It’s awesome.